North Bay Regional Health Centre
- Project Management
- Location: North Bay, Ontario
- Client: North Bay General Hospital
- JLR Contact: John Moore
- Related Projects: Gary J. Armstrong Long Term Care Centre Canadian Blood Services Manufacturing Lab
The North Bay Regional Health Centre (NBRHC) is a newly constructed three-storey general hospital. Significantly larger than the old General Hospital, it is better equipped to provide more health care services. It also includes a new 250,000 ft2 Northeast Mental Health Centre. The Centre is a two-storey facility designed to reflect a home-like, village environment.
The NBRHC includes a larger emergency department than the previous hospital, consisting of 32 treatment beds, a consolidated ambulatory care centre, and 275 acute-care beds. The new Northeast Mental Health Centre is linked to the General Hospital via a shared entrance and common area. It consists of 52 forensic psychiatry beds, 61 specialized mental health beds, a client services mall, gymnasium, workshops, psychiatric offices, and outpatient services.
JLR, in association with the ZW Group, provided project management services for the project from 2003 to 2005. JLR’s involvement included:
- Providing a full-time resident project manager
- Peer review
- Value engineering
- Project coordination
- Liaison and coordinating with the prime architectural firm and hospital staff
- Coordinating “mock-up” rooms and system testing
Construction of the NBRHC was completed in January 2011. Since its opening, the Centre has significantly improved the quality of healthcare in Northeastern Ontario, and it continues to provide a wide range of crucial medical services to the region.