Beckwith Waste Transfer and Processing Facility
- Project Management
- Location: Beckwith, Ontario
- Value: $4M
- Size: 6.5 ha industrial site and a 1,240 m² waste transfer and processing building
- Client: Lafleche Environmental Inc.
- JLR Contact: Derrick Upton
- Related Projects: Trail Road Landfill Public Drop-Off Facility, Trail Road Landfill Exposed Interim Geomembrane Cap, Orgaworld Ottawa Composting Facility, Moose Creek Tire Recycling Facility, Bakermet Scrap Metal Processing Facility
The Beckwith Waste Transfer and Processing Facility was completed to meet the growing solid waste management needs of smaller communities west of Ottawa. It was designed and licensed to receive and divert up to 1,000 tonnes of solid non-hazardous waste per day to the Laflèche Environmental Inc. (LEI) landfill site located in Moose Creek, Ontario. The Beckwith facility is capable of storing up to 365 tonnes of material inside the building. Recyclable materials are sorted in the building and loaded into roll-off truck bins for transport off-site to market.
The 1,240 m² steel frame and metal siding building was pre-engineered by Steelway Building Systems. JLR worked with Steelway to provide the structural foundation design. Structural design services also included the retaining wall and steel deflection plates at the truck load out bays. In addition to coordinating the overhead hydro service at the site, JLR’s electrical group completed all of the interior and exterior electrical design for the facility.
Civil engineering services included a traffic impact study, and fire pond, SWM, drainage, and grading design. JLR prepared the site monitoring program, which received approval from both the MOE and local approval agencies. In addition, JLR prepared the Engineer’s Report in support of the Environmental Compliance approval to allow for some operational flexibility of the waste transfer and processing facility. JLR also provided construction administration services through to completion of this $4 million capital works project.