- Are you passionate about developing policy and development that results in resilient, sustainable communities that grow in an environmentally responsible way?
- Does designing sites, creating development strategies, researching, and conducting policy reviews excite you?
- Are you a resourceful, clever, and enthusiastic Senior Planner looking to gain more experience in land use policy or land development?
- Are you looking to work on interesting projects like integrating additional housing within our communities, shoreline protection policy, design of subdivisions creating complete communities, state-of-the-art schools and hospitals, transit stations, airports, industrial buildings, and other exciting projects?
If you scored four for four, JLR has a home for you! We’ve opened a role in our Ottawa office for talented candidates to work alongside exceptional people in JLR’s planning team. You’ll be supported by a Platinum Club member of Canada’s Best Managed Companies program. This 100% employee-owned firm has a long-established reputation for quality services in both the public and private sectors. At the same time, you take on existing clients, develop new relationships and deliver world-class, sustainable solutions that support reconciliation, community building, and growth in various cities. We advise on land use and interpret the regulations and policies that govern it. We also provide due diligence, master planning, concept development, geographical information system services, and studies to facilitate ongoing operations and accommodate growth.
JLR is a creative, tight-knit, and mentorship-focused community with unique opportunities for driven people with tenacity and spirit. Our organization is made up of diverse employee-owners with specialized expertise in a wide range of disciplines. Joining the JLR team means being part of a dynamic group of innovative planning, engineering, architecture, and energy systems professionals and support staff. You will have the opportunity to help establish new clients and partner with existing ones to develop insightful solutions and see projects through from inception to completion.
If you are innovative and collaborative, a solid mentor, thrive when presented with new challenges, and are eager to take your career in new directions, then JLR is the right environment for you.
Choose your own adventure! Let’s talk about how your skills, experience, goals, and passions can find a home at JLR. Your role will include:
- Aiding in developing new Municipal, County, District and Regional Official Plans and specific policies such as Waterfront and Additional Residential Units.
- Conducting research and policy reviews.
- Aiding in the undertaking of land development applications for the private, not-for-profit and public sectors (i.e. School Boards, Municipal, Provincial, and Federal Departments).
- Developing Consultation Strategies and implementing them through stakeholder and public consultations, including the preparation of materials for public meetings, open houses, and workshops.
- Identifying and responding to client needs and regulatory requirements, and aiding in proposal development.
Why Join Us?
We live, work, breathe, sleep, and thrive in the communities we build. We’re particularly proud of our reputation and longevity in the National Capital and Kingston regions, we love northern Ontario and the glorious bounty of the natural world, and we’re growing our presence in southwestern Ontario and all along the Great Lakes. You should also know that:
- We’re 100% employee-owned with share ownership opportunities at all levels.
- Work-life balance is strongly encouraged, including flexibility with work hours and remote working.
- We offer stable, long-term employment with opportunities for advancement based on merit, skill, and initiative and an “open-door” policy where communication is strongly encouraged.
- We foster a friendly, welcoming, and team-oriented atmosphere that encourages innovation and collaboration across multiple disciplines – we have an established depth of technical and support resources that can efficiently and effectively deliver planning services to support both public and private sector clients, as well as municipal, provincial, and federal agencies.
- We provide a flexible career direction with opportunities to choose your own path and interesting and exciting assignments ranging in size and type.
- We provide competitive salaries, reviewed annually.
- Health & dental benefits and RRSP/DPSP programs are offered immediately.
- Our merit-and-profit bonus program is our key to recognizing performance.
- Extracurricular social events are provided so we can all have some fun along the way (annual “prom,” golf tournaments, sports teams, department lunches, summer BBQs, and much more).
Want to get more insight before you apply? Have an informal chat with Sarah Vereault, RPP, MCIP. Associate and Senior Planner or Jason Ferrigan RPP, MCIP, MSc.Pl., Senior Planner, or Marc Rivet, RPP, MCIP. Associate and Senior Planner.
Interested in joining our team? We’re always open to great talent, even if it’s not exactly what we’ve posted. Ready? Send us a cover letter and resume outlining your skills, qualifications, and the specific experiences that make you an ideal candidate for the position by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
JLR welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
At JLR, each of us contributes to inclusion and we all have a role to play. Our culture is the result of our behaviours, our personal commitment, our curiosity, how we collaborate, and the ways that we courageously share our perspectives and encourage others to do the same. In turn, our environment inspires us to try new things, speak openly, and be bold. It brings us together in ways that help us stand out. Our inclusive culture empowers all of us to connect, belong, and grow.