Client: City of Owen Sound
Location: Owen Sound, Ontario
Size: 24.5 MLD average daily flow
J.L. Richards & Associates Limited (JLR) was retained as Prime Consultant to provide the engineering services for the design, tendering, and construction contract administration of a $48M major upgrade to the City of Owen Sound (City) 24.5 MLD average daily flow wastewater treatment plant (WWTP).
This project included the conversion of the original primary chemical treatment plant to a secondary biological treatment plant among many other plant-wide upgrades. Key features of the upgrades of this assignment included:
- Upgraded headworks (screening and grit removal facilities).
- New chemical storage/feed systems.
- New biological aerated filter (BAF) complex.
- Design of new thermophilic digester and biosolids storage, pumping, and loading facilities.
- New biogas utilization and heating systems.
- New treated effluent outfall, standby power systems and various site-wide upgrades.
- New primary electrical feed system.
- Complete integration of the site and processes into an upgraded supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) system.
Major components of the upgrade included a new BAF complex which incorporates a primary sewage pumping station; all of the BAF process equipment and components and ancillary systems; a UV disinfection system; administration facilities including a laboratory, control room, meeting rooms and offices; and other building support. JLR worked closely with City staff to develop high quality tender documents resulting in tender prices that were all within 4.8% of each other, with the two low bidding contractors providing a bid at exactly the same price.